Tuesday, April 15, 2014

I'm Not a Girl

"I'm not a girl, not yet a woman. All I need is time, a moment that is mine. While I'm in between..." I'm Not a Girl, Not Yet a Woman by Brittany Spears
My baby is turning 13 tomorrow! GAH! She is elated.. I am crying. This means the years I have left with her are limited and will be so precious to me. We are moving into our new home at the end of the month and for all of my dreams of designing my own room, my gift to her is to begin designing her teenage room.
She is at that age where she no longer wants a little girl room filled with dolls and toys and pink ballerinas. So I decided to trust her taste and task her with the job of sourcing Pinterest for the type of room she would love. My daughter loves to skateboard and play hard core video games and wear Vans and beanies. This is a girl who loathes the clothes at Justice and refuses to wear pink or lace or ruffles. Therefore, I was quite surprised at the color palette she presented me.  It was SOOOO girly! And I was super happy! FINALLY a daughter who wants a girly room. She informed me that her favorite color these days is mint green. She created an electronic vision board and from there we began shopping around for her dream bedroom design.

Once we paint her walls mint green, we decided we will add a white stencil design on the wall behind her bed. We are placing a textured peach comforter on the bed and adorning it with white and mint green pillows in varying textures. Feathers are important to her. She said they remind her of a delicate bird who has the ability to soar to heights. So we will be adding feather prints and recreating the feather mobile you see above. I plan to smock a set of peach curtains for her window and create a little stool for her to sit on when she is putting on her shoes made out of a utility bucket. Being the florist that I am, her room won't be complete without a weekly flower arrangement on her dresser and nightstands.

She is so excited to get started and I am too!

Have any of you had to turn your little girl's room into a teen room! I would love to hear all about it the joys, the pains, the fails and the successes you had along the way!

xoxo, tami

No comments:

Post a Comment